It might still be the biggest movie of all time, but it is more than seven years since Avatar was released. Director James Cameron has promised no fewer than four sequels, and has now confirmed that they will start filming this summer.
In a new interview with the Daily Beast, Cameron revealed that he will film the actors for the next four movies from August. “My focus isn’t on Avatar 2. My focus is on Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 equally,” he said. “That’s exactly how I’m approaching it. They’ve all been developed equally. I’ve just finished the script to Avatar 5. I’m now starting the process of active prep.
“I’ll be working with the actors in the capture volume in August, so I’m booked in production every day between now and then. Our volume is up and running, and everything is designed, and so we’re going full-guns right now.
“I feel like I’ve been let out of jail, because I’ve been in the writing cave for the last two years. I’m actually enjoying life. I don’t enjoy writing. I wouldn’t wish writing on a dog.”
The first sequel does not have an official release date, but Cameron has previously spoken about his hopes to have it ready for Christmas 2018. Last November, Fox set a date of December 21, 2018 for an untitled film from the director’s Lightstorm Entertainment.
Cameron has also revealed that he hoped to make Avatar 2 and the preceding films in glasses-free 3D. “I’m going to push,” he said. “Not only for better tools, workflow, high dynamic range and high frame rates–the things we are working toward. I’m still very bullish on 3D, but we need brighter projection, and ultimately I think it can happen–with no glasses. We’ll get there.”