John Wick: Chapter 2 hits theaters next week, and sees Keanu Reeves back as the reluctant-but-ruthless dog-loving hitman. There has already been talk of a third movie, and now the director has spoken about the possibility of a TV prequel.
At a recent press conference, director Chad Stahelski explained why a potential prequel might end up on the small screen. “We’re not doing a prequel [with Chapter 2]. We wanted to, it just didn’t fit quite where we’re at,” he said, via Slashfilm. “We basically almost have a prequel written, but we’d save that for other aspects of the property.
“Lionsgate is very interested in doing a John Wick TV show, and that seems very appealing to us, to give those creative ideas to that entity. I think in TV you could really expand on what that is, and greater than we could in just a two-hour film.
“We’d like to wrap up the story we’re telling now and maybe save all our prequel ideas and impossible task ideas for that medium.”
In October, Stahelski revealed that Lionsgate was also looking to produce a third movie in the series. “The studio has asked us to put our heads together and see if we can come up with something,” he said. “Winston [the character played by Ian McShane] is a big part of the next one, so is Lance Reddick. We’ve got some ideas.”
There has been plenty of recent promotional activity for John Wick: Chapter 2. Earlier this week, week, a new video revealed the training that the cast took to deliver what is termed “gun-fu,” while this clip showed Wick returning to a familiar location.
John Wick: Chapter 2 also stars Common, Laurence Fishburne, Bridget Moynahan, and John Leguizamo. It arrives in theaters on February 10, 2017.