Mighty No. 9, the new platformer from Mega Man designer Keiji Inafune, has crossed a new development milestone. It was announced today that the game has “gone gold,” meaning development on the game, which had been delayed multiple times, is finished. It will be available starting June 21.
In a statement, Inafune apologized for the game’s multiple delays and thanked fans for their patience. Most recently, Mighty No. 9 was slated to arrive in spring 2016, a window it’s missing with the June release date.
“Firstly, I would like to say again how sincerely sorry we are for how long we have kept all of our fans waiting,” Inafune said. “We understand that as a result of the various delays we have disappointed and let down our fans, but we are happy to finally be able to deliver the game to everyone who brought us this far.”
The development team is now completing the “last final stages” of production. Inafune also promised there will be no more delays. “The release date we are announcing is set in stone and there will be no further delays for the game,” he said.
To celebrate the “going gold” news, an image of a golden version of Beck has also been released.
It’s been a long time coming for Mighty No. 9. The game’s Kickstarter campaign started almost three years ago, and, as mentioned, there have been multiple delays and other issues. Inafune is pleased with the end result, it seems.
“This is a project where everyone’s passions were combined in order to create something very special, and we are looking forward to delivering the final product to everyone who was involved,” he said. “There can be no stronger connection between game creators and game fans.”
Mighty No. 9 was originally slated to launch in 2015 before being pushed to 2016. There will be physical disc and digital versions of the game for PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U, while the game will only be available digitally for PS3 and Xbox 360.